Re: [Gimp-developer] Edge-sensitive painting?

> Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 12:27:47 -0600
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Edge-sensitive painting?
> From: cr33dog gmail com
> To: strata_ranger hotmail com
> CC: gimp-developer-list gnome org
>
> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Richard Gitschlag
> <strata_ranger hotmail com> wrote:
> > Say for example that I am digitally coloring an inked linework (black lines,
> > white background).
>
> 1. Set blending mode on ink layer to "multiply".
> 2. Create new layer with white fill and move it below *below* ink layer.
> 3. Paint on new layer.
>
> Does that not work?
>
> Chris

I'm already aware of how to use layer blending modes (etc.) for this purpose, thank you, but that's not what I was talking about.

One of the minor, but slightly annoying (and minor annoyances are always the worst) things about digitally inking underneath any outline layer is what happens when your brush strays very close to the lines you're inking inside of.  If your brush size is large enough to pass completely through that line onto the other side, or you just hit a bad stroke somewhere, then naturally the brush will end up painting (or as I phrased it, "bleeding") onto both sides of the line, which you probably didn't want -- you have to take time cleaning it up later.

I've attached a simple JPG to supplement what I'm talking about - on the top half is your existing behavior where stray too close to a line and your brush will pass through underneath it and end up painting on both sides.  On the bottom half is the suggested "edge-sensitive" behavior, where as long as you remain on the same side of a line, the brush area "stops" at that line and does not pass through.

For an analogue, compare a simple coloring book to those toy-section "fuzzy posters".  One requires a reasonably steady hand and conscious effort to remain within the lines; the other enforces it for you.

To be fair, there are other ways to achieve the desired end result (selection masks, etc.); but I'm suggesting, could it be possible as a checkable option in the actual painting tools themselves?

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com