Re: [Gimp-developer] Retinex color operation

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 11:15 AM, gg <gg catking net> wrote:
> On 04/25/12 10:43, Michael Grosberg wrote:
>
>The above procedure can probably be turned into an integral part of retinex so that retinex only works on those parts. Perhaps >adding another slider that emulates what I did with the levels operation, to choose how much you want to affect midtones in >the image.
> ..

Retinex is a quite specific operation, that does local contrast
enhancement and whitebalancing on an image. In the GEGL tool you
should find other ops that have somewhat similar intentions: fattal02,
mantiuk06, reinhard05 and stress - perhaps one of them does a better
job in your opinion? (some of these are rather expensive operations to
compute) Like with any other op - if you want to affect only portions
of an image; shadows only or similar; creating a mask to adjust which
pixels are affected how much is business as usual - doing this could
perhaps be made easier overall in GIMP; but integrating it in the
operations themselves could almost be likened to adding a sharpening
step or similar to brightness contrast/curves/blur and similar.

/Ø
                                                 -- William Gibson