Re: [Gimp-developer] Difference between GIMP_PLUGIN and GIMP_EXTENSION

I'm assuming Mitch was referring to this:

http://developer.gimp.org/api/2.0/libgimp/libgimp-gimp.html#gimp-install-procedure

Which does give some hints as to the technical difference (which has
apparently changed over time, something about "<Toolbox>" :) ). Seeing
as the OP wanted to know the "conceptual" difference though, seems
like saying "It's all there" is kind of a stretch - but it takes time
to write good overview docs and it seems like gimp's innards are
changing pretty rapidly these days, so who knows how soon they'd be
outdated anyway. So, eh.. I'm also curious to know the intended use
case for extension vs. plugin though, so if anyone here is feeling
professorial...