[gexiv2] Installation on OSX

Hi

I am working on a library where I need to extract XMP metadata from an image file with Python. I’m currently using PyExiv2 but this library is deprecated and the authors suggest moving to Gexiv2.

I am having trouble installing gexiv2 and its Python wrapper on Mac OSX. Unfortunately the help links on the gexif2 Python support page are dead.

There is a homebrew command for gexiv2, but on my system it hangs during the installation step. Verbose mode shows that the g-ir-scanner doesn’t complete. Also, the python bindings are not being built when using the homebrew formula.

The compilation works when I clone the repo and build it myself. The python bindings were only built after I installed pygtk. (It would have been nice if this was mentioned in the docs somewhere.)
The installer seems to correctly install the package in '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gi/overrides‘.
But even then I am unable to import the module in Python.

from gi.repository import GExiv2 fails with 'ImportError: cannot import name GExiv2‘.

Has anyone managed to get this to work on a Mac?

Best regards

Simon