Re: [Gegl-developer] OpenCL support

Hi Victor,

(after 2 crashes of mail programs and browsers, I hope this time I will be able to send this mail)

There is no need to check all patches - let me explain. The project consists of two parts: the front-runners (learning in a group) and the rest (people learning from the group). The front-runners will pick a filter, then all are going to port it to OpenCL - each version will be discussed with the group and tested on the machines. By combining all that has been learned, the kernel with the best results will result in a single patch. We mostly need your help with the first few patches. People who find improvements after the first path, first have to do a list of checks before sending a patch.

The people who have done the class successfully, can focus on the harder problems you wrote down. When we get to that point, what I ask from you is to make the descriptions of the 4 points.

StreamComputing will help out too, if time permits - our first focus is to guide the front-runners. We might be most useful in benchmarking the various kernels on our own servers - what build-system do you use, by the way? Buildbot.net?

Yes, if you agree that I setup this OpenCL-learning-project for GEGL, a tutorial would be the best help to get people started. I saw the API is quite useful and can be used to create a small program that reads an image and kernel, and writes an image, checks error-level and shows the time the kernel took. Later interactive mode can be added, or to benchmark on a directory of images.

Yes, I've checked a few filters. Will be good examples. We do need to profile&benchmark them, to see if they can be made faster before people use it to learn.

Cheers,
Vincent