Re: [Gegl-developer] [Gimp-developer] Jenkins infrastructure (Was: Jenkins tutorial)

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 2:09 PM, scl <scl gplus gmail com> wrote:

  Also, I'd like to note that
if you're not using git hooks now would be a good time to use them.

Hi,

together with Andrea Veri I've set up the hook based build trigger.
Currently it is active for testing purposes on the
branches babl/hooktest and GEGL/master. If we encounter
no trouble the other branches will follow in one week or two.

That's how it works:
1. You push a commit to babl/hooktest or GEGL/master in our public
repository.
2. Git's Post-Receive hook notifies Jenkins about changes in the
affected repository and branch.
3. Jenkins' Git Plugin will scan all the jobs which check out the
specified URL and if they are configured with polling, they'll poll.
4. The polling will usually find something that's worth a build,
so a build will be triggered.
5. You get an answer about success or failure of your commit via
IRC and RSS (quicker than before)

For more information see:
https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Git+Plugin
http://kohsuke.org/2011/12/01/polling-must-die-triggering-jenkins-builds-from-a-git-hook/

Thanks to Sam Gleske for the advice and Andrea Veri for setting up
the Git side.

Kind regards,

Sven