Re: [Gegl-developer] Removed wildcard rules from operations Makefiles

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 10:25 PM, Daniel Sabo <danielsabo gmail com> wrote:
I have removed the custom wildcard rules from the operations/
directories. This was necessary to get automake's dependency tracking
working. The downside of this is that you need to remember to add a
new operation to Makefile.am in order to build it. The upside is that
things will now actually build / not build as they should, which is
especially an improvement for things that include .cl.h files from
opencl/.

I want GEGL to keep the build-system interaction neccesary for novice
and advanced users as low as possible, making the threshold to
contribute what most developers contributing to GEGL will be
contributing to.. (tests/operations). This is the reason for the
wildcards. Some wildcard mechanisms have been removed in the past and
increasing the number of files you need to touch/know about invariably
leads to fewer contributions to those parts, both from others and me.

I am against such changes at least in the common/ directory. It also
makes keeping a local set of operations, not yet under version
control, in sync with upstream harder. For the CL files - it might be
better to move them adjecant to the .c files when they correspond to
single ops; and have rules about how to deal with

opname.c
opname.cl
opname.cl.h

all co-existing in the same directory.