Re: [Gegl-developer] [Gimp-developer] Gimp 2.8 : my opinion

On 8 September 2012 09:32, Michael Natterer <mitch gimp org> wrote:
On Sat, 2012-09-08 at 00:25 +0200, Alexandre Ravaux wrote:
*BEFRORE READING, EXCUSE THE SEVERAL MISTAKES YOU MAY READ IN THIS MESSAGE.
I'M FRENCH (I KONOW IT IS NOT A GREAT EXCUSE BUT I DO NOT FIND ANYTHING
ELSE...)*

Hello,
I am a french young Gimp user (since 2.0 version) and I wish to tell my
opinion about the latest version (2.8). In fact, I did not know to whom I
have to send this message.I suppose you'll tell me where's the exit door,
or, at worst, to whom I have to write.

I congratulate you for the hard work you do. All these improvements:
improved layers manager (with folders...), awesome text editor... But (yes
there is always a "but" in this kind of message) I do not appreciate the
deliberate choice that you made to save the file within the xcf format and
to export for the other formats. It is even contrary to the freedoms of the
user I think. Don't feel aggressed, but one of the priorities of GNU, if I
understand Stallman's philosophy, it is the user's freedom (short reminder
: GIMP, GNU Image Manipulation Program). Stallman's philosophy or not, I
think it is important to let people choose the format of the picture when
they're saving their file.

I know there is little chance that you return to the saving mode into any
format.(I hope I contributed by exposing my opinion to the improvement of
GIMP).

Thanks Alexandre for being friendly and not right away bitching
like many others :)

However, we did this change for a reason:

http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/Save_%2B_export_specification

It's really only about getting used to a new keyboard
shortcut when exporting.

Libre Graphics World has an article on the subject which is also worth a read:
http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/gimp-2.8-understanding-ui-changes

--
Jon Nordby - www.jonnor.com