Re: [gedit-list] Windows binary

Am 19.02.2020 um 11:44 schrieb Sven Schreiber:
Am 19.02.2020 um 11:24 schrieb Misrot Mehadrin:
PS: Sven, if you decide to give it a try - please, put yourself into
"assignees" so other interested guys can cooperate with you on this issue.

OK, I will do that when I have something to report (be it partial
success or problems) as a basis for collaboration.

OK, here are some news.
First I gave up on the cross-compilation thing with or without Docker
images. Contrary to some optimistic comments in the referenced tickets I
couldn't find a reasonably ready-made solution - and the whole thing
started out as building gedit on Windows, the original aim was not cross
compilation.

So back to building directly on Windows: There are actually good
instructions in the gedit source releases based on MSYS2, see for
example gedit-3.35.1/win32/README, and I followed them (well, I had
MSYS/MinGW already installed before, I admit).

In particular, I edited gedit-3.35.1/win32/make-gedit-installer as follows:

- changed the _wixdir line to this, after having installed the current
version of the free WiX Toolset program on the machine:
_wixdir="/c/Program Files (x86)/WiX Toolset v3.11"

- changed the _version line to this:
_version="3.35.1"

This gives me an installer file of about 96MB which installs without
problem here. Windows says the installed size is roughly 330MB.

But I have a couple of questions:
- The source archives from https://download.gnome.org/sources/gedit/
have exactly the same byte size for the two versions 3.34.1 and 3.35.1 -
is this normal or expected? The produced installers also coincide
exactly in their size.

- Probably related: What should be gedit-3.35.1 shows version "3.34.1"
in its about window. Does this indicate a deeper problem or just a
glitch in the versioning? Basically it looks as if there's no difference.

- I've also tried the most recent version 3.35.90, but that produces an
error - I think the move of the win32 directory to inside build-aux
broke some relative path specifications. I guess I need to file a ticket
for this problem?

thanks
sven