Re: [gedit-list] New "autoname" plugin

On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 2:27 AM Sean Hammond via gedit-list <gedit-list gnome org> wrote:
Just letting people know about my gedit plugin:

https://github.com/seanh/gedit-autoname

I find that I write a lot more notes, and save a lot more copy-pasted snippets, if I don't have to choose a filename for each one, and can just type the note and save it (think of things like the GNOME Notes app, or iOS Notes, etc, that let you create notes quickly without choosing a filename and directory).

Also, I always find myself typing a lot of text into "Untitled Document 1" in gedit which, even though I have autosave turned on, won't be saved until I manually save it once and choose a filename. Sometimes my computer crashes and I lose work this way.

This plugin aims to solve both issues.

The now-defunct Scribes editor (http://scribes.sourceforge.net/) used to do something very similar to this by default.

I've just thrown the plugin together in a few hours this afternoon. It's my first gedit plugin and though it appears to work if hasn't had much testing.

It's great to see a new plugin or two :-D

Perhaps you would consider adding it to the GNOME wiki page for third-party plugins (https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Gedit/ThirdPartyPlugins_v3.14)? (There are also lists for older versions of gedit if your plugin is compatible: https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Gedit/PluginsLists)