Re: [gedit-list] libgedit, again

Hi Sébastien,

     in principle I surely agree with the goal of making the code
reusable and factoring out code to be used in latexila and other
projects.

About the approach of creating a "gcode" library: I honestly do not
know. It is very hard to say on advance to say if it will be the right
approach or not: my general feeling is that at the end of the day each
application has to implement its own "glue" code to make things work
together, and the best thing to do is to share the best ideas and
principles even at the cost of some cut&paste code. Another downside
of splitting out a separate .so is that makes things a little more
complex for win32 port (this is surely fixable, but I thought I'd at
least mention it).

For instance at a quick glance at your branch, I am not so convinced
about sharing "gedit-debug" (which is a bit dated and could probably
be accomplished in more modern ways and which needs anyway application
specific env vars) or gedit-utils (I would like to see most of that
code go away). Anything that deals with settings also needs to be app
specific and the same goes for things that need application-specific
css (removing some borders etc).

How much is it left to share? I really do not know... if there are
things we can move down in gsv, we should at least aim for that in the
long term. If there are some more-or-less generic widgets, we could
take an approach similar to libgd/libegg.

To sum it up: do I agree with your effort? yes. Do I agree with the
gcode approach: maybe, I am afraid that we'll figure out only when
trying, but my suggestion would be to start small.

Hope it helps,

    Paolo