[gedit-list] Git commit with "gedit --wait"

Hi, I'm trying to mix Git & Gedit to write long commit messages. I'm not sure if this is a Gedit problem, but I'll seek help here regardless.
In the past (about two or three months ago) I've been able to set the Git 'core.editor' config setting to 'gedit --wait' and everything worked great.
However, now Git doesn't seem to wait for the Gedit tab to exit and reports a 'Aborting commit due to empty commit message.'.
Has anything changed recently in how Gedit handles the --wait flag?

Jashandeep Sohi