[gedit-list] Determining successfully loaded files

I'd like to be able to determine if a document is a text-file or a binary file. I'd also like to know if there's a way to know whether the file was successfully loaded, or it's waiting on some prompt from the user (as in the case of a binary file, accidentally loading a path, or having IO errors). Are either of these possible?

It looks like the get_editable() method on the view reflect whether the document is in a "ready" state, but I'm not sure if it'll be False for a read-only file, or for any other reason.

Dustin