[gedit-list] Scheduling timers from plugins

What's an acceptable strategy to regularly invoke functionality in a Python plugin (via some kind of timer)?

The only examples I can find for timers with PyGTK, in general, are gobject.timeout_add() and gobject.timeout_add_seconds(), but I think they're deprecated as the plugin completely ceases to work when I import gobject (I get a "type object 'gobject.GObject' has no attribute 'ref" error).

I'm also assuming that normal Python timers might interfere with GTK's loop, so I shouldn't be using them.

Dustin Oprea