[gedit-list] Bottom panel and Tools menu missing in GEdit 3.8.3

Dear all,

I started using GEdit 3.8.3 recently after upgrading my OS (Ubuntu 13.10). Yesterday I installed the plug-ins package, but contrary to previous versions of GEdit I wasn't able to activate the Bottom Panel by pressing Ctrl+F9; in the View menu the Bottom Panel option is greyed out and I can't enable it that way either.

Folks at AskUbuntu said I needed to reinstall GEdit, which I did (from the packages). I still do not have the Bottom Panel, but now the Tools is also gone, meaning for instance that I can't use the spell checker.

What may be causing this? Can I run GEdit on debug mode to see if I get some info on this?

Thanks,

Luís