[gedit-list] windows version of gedit adding blank lines to opened files

Adam Dingle was kind enough to refer me to send an email to gedit-list to report what I’m seeing with the Windows version (7) of gedit as he only uses a Unix-based system.

Problem: When I open some large files with the Windows version of gedit (installed at the beginning of April 2013), gedit adds blank lines to the file (line number is incremented and a blank line is shown). If I save the file from gedit and import it to Excel, I see the blank lines. If I use a macro to remove the blank lines and save the file back out as txt, when I open the file again with gedit, blank lines are again added to the file.

Does anyone know why this is happening and have a possible work around or fix that could be applied?

Thank you,

John