[gedit-list] Set Language empty list

Enabling `Tools -> Autocheck Spelling` results in all words marked as misspelled. The `Preferences -> Plugins
-> Spell Checking` is checked. When selecting `Tools -> Set Language` the dialog box is empty. My environment
is:

* FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p1
* Gedit 2.30.4 (installed from `/usr/ports`)
* enchant, aspell, ispell, hunspell (installed from `/usr/ports`)

A little web searching suggests this has been a common problem for years but I haven't found a solution. I
think it's just a configuration issue. Does anyone have experience with this?