[gedit-list] gedit always create 2 documents each time I click on a file to open with the editor

I am on Ubuntu 12.04
I have gedit as default editor.
I am using dolphin file manager.

I double click on a file, say foo.txt, then gedit opens OK, but in addition
to opening foo.txt, it also creates a new blank document. Which I have to
close each time.

gedit is version 3.4.1

dolphin is Version 2.0
Using KDE Development Platform 4.8.2 (4.8.2)

How can make gedit not open a blank document each time it opens a file?

thanks
--Nasser