[gedit-list] Is GtkSourceCompletionWords just an example Provider?

I'm trying to get a good grasp of GtkSourceCompletion for a plugin I'm working on. Documentation is minimal so I'm mostly working from source code of other projects. Couple questions...

Every example I can find seems to use "gtksourcecompletionwords" which I see in the GtkSourceView source under /completion-providers. Is this a built-in provider which adds a proposal for every word in the GtkSourceBuffer? In other words, if my completion items will NOT be coming from the document, I don't need this, right? I just need to implement my own Provider interface?