[gedit-list] how to set resources

I am running gedit outside of gnome (xserver is exceed-on-demand running on windows or gnome/ubuntu depending on my location).  The size of the toolbar icons and fonts are too big as are the edit window fonts.  Is there something like an .Xdefaults file were I can specify settings like this?  I see there is a .gnome2/gedit-2 file that has a few settings,  is that the right place?  If so what are the setting I can change?

Thanks - John