[gedit-list] I'll work on libgedit

Hello,

I don't know if you remember, in August I had a discussion on IRC about
libgedit, i.e. creating a framework based on the source code of Gedit
for creating new IDEs easily.

You agreed with the idea and you said that the API could change from
versions to versions, so the applications must follow the development
and make some changes if needed. There is also the possibility to stay
with a particular version, either by copying all the source code, or by
having several versions of the libgedit installed (different *.so), but
it will annoy packagers I think, especially if it's only for one or two
apps.

I'll do all this work during the next months as part of my studies, as
Steve Frécinaux already knows¹.

This framework will be integrated to Gedit itself obviously, but also to
LaTeXila, an Integrated LaTeX Environment written in Vala. The "text
editor" part is inspired from Gedit, so the port won't be so difficult I
think.

I hope it will be useful for other projects too. For some tasks an
independent application is easier for the user than plugins. Although
the profile feature would make the life easier too.

Best regards,
Sébastien

PS: Happy new year!

¹ I'll do an internship where he works :) But the Gedit stuff is not
part of the internship.