Re: [gedit-list] Gedit plugin capabilities

On 07/15/2010 09:18 AM, Michael Zeising wrote:
> Hi Erik,
>
> as far as I know, you can modify everything with a gedit plugin
> because gedit actually doesn't offer a real plugin API but exposes its
> entrails over a Python binding. You don't have to write C code for
> this ;-)
Although this is true, we clearly do not expose all the internals, and
we also don't offer extension points everywhere.

> Greets,
> Michael
>
> Am 15.07.2010 00:44, schrieb Erik de Castro Lopo:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I was wonder if there was some document that listed what can and
>> can't be achieve with GEdit plugins.
>>
>> For instance:
>>
>>    - Is it possible to modify the menus?
>>    - Is it possible to modify key bindings?
>>    - Is it possible to modify dialog boxes?
There is no document listed on what you can and cannot do, but to answer
your questions: You can modify the menus. You can also modify the key
bindings (at least most of them), but you can also do that without a
plugin since they rely on gtk+ rc files or gtk accel maps. There are no
extension points for modifying dialog boxes. For example, you can't
modify the search/replace dialog box from a plugin.