[gedit-list] Problems Editing Code

I'm new to open-source programming, and I'm still an amateur at using make. I'm running into problems while trying to edit code. Whenever I edit gedit.c, I can see my changes reflected in the executable after I type "make." Other than that, my modifications don't do anything except for compile. Is there another command I should be using that's not "make" when I'm modifying code? I've been trying to edit "gedit-commands-search.c," but to no avail. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated. I'm using version 2.30.3.