[gedit-list] API question: How to get the list of items in a panel?

Hi all,

I am relatively new to gedit and have just subscribed to the list.  Before anything else, thanks for a terrific piece of software.

I am trying to manipulate programatically the items (bottom tabs) in the side panel, for instance, to activate a given item in response to a key press.  After some experimentation/introspection with the API in the Python console, I believe the call that will do the trick is:

window.get_side_panel().activate_item(<item>)

What I couldn't find, however, is a way to grab the <item> object.  I suppose there must be a method that enumerates the items in a panel.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks,
--Kaleb