Re: [gedit-list] Is there a signal for text selection?

Thanks again, Paolo and Jesse. I've now got a first attempt at a plugin up and working.

I spent a lot of time programming with Notepad++ and one of the features I liked about it is that if you select a word, all occurrences of that word will be instantly highlighted within the document. It's similar to the way the Ctrl+K functionality works in Gedit, but it's triggered by text selection instead.

There's still an issue that I'd like to work out if anyone has any input. The plugin only works on double-click. If you try to select a word using the mouse or Shift+Arrows, it will only highlight the first letter or two. I'm using "notify::has-selection" as suggested. Is there something that signals that the selection is changing? For instance, if you're dragging the mouse to select a word? I couldn't seem to find anything like this in the documentation.

http://github.com/stevelove/Highlight-Selected/tree/master

Steve

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 3:56 AM, Paolo Borelli <pborelli katamail com> wrote:
Il giorno dom, 26/04/2009 alle 11.42 +0200, Jesse van den Kieboom ha
scritto:
> steve love schreef:
> > Thanks for the response, Paolo. You'll have to forgive me; I'm pretty
> > new at this. I'm having trouble figuring out which object has the
> > "has_selection" property. Can you point me in the right direction? Or
> > perhaps tell me where to find some helpful documentation?
> It is the GtkTextView which has this property (in gedit this is
> GeditView which descends from GtkSourceView which descends from
> GtkTextView). The easiest way to browse and search gtk+ documentation is
> to install the application 'devhelp'.

Actually it is GtkTextBuffer. In this case the inheritance goes like
this:

GeditDocument inherits from GtkSourceBuffer which inherits from
GtkTextBuffer.

Ciao

       Paolo