[gedit-list] file extensions

Hi

I have some made some files with a .ts extension - gedit does not
include these in the list when I try to Open a file. File Browser says
these are 'message catalog' files. I am guessing that gedit sees these
as system files and does not list them (though I can Open them by typing
in the name). How do I get gedit to include these files in the directory
listing? Or in general how does one change the file 'Type' in Fedora?
Thanks

Rob