[gedit-list] External tools - no stdio interaction

Hi list,

I tried to run SWI-Prolog from within GEdit (in the bottom area) via the
External Tools plugin, but it appears that programmes run as external
tools are not able to interact with the user.
The Prolog "shell" does not terminate but awaits user input, however, I
can't enter anything. GEdit seems to stall while waiting for the
external tool to terminate, hence I have to kill the prolog process to
regain control over GEdit.

I can of course open a regular terminal (Embedded Terminal plugin) and
thereby run Prolog, but coming from Notepad++ on Windows I am pretty
used to just pressing some shortcut in order to run the current file in
whatever tool.

Any help is welcome,
Malte