Re: [gedit-list] Direct color settings removed from gedit?

Curtis Hovey wrote:
On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 23:49 +0300, Vesa Paatero wrote:
I just recently upgraded my Ubuntu distribution to a newer version and noticed that gedit of the newer version (gedit 2.20.3) doesn't have something that I the older one (unknown version) did: Color selectors for setting text color in Settings. The help page for Font & Colors Preferences still says (in v2.20.3):
Your Ubuntu is still an old version (Gutsy?) I have 2.22.3 for Hardy and
the beta for Intrepid has 2.24.
Yes, that's right. I postponed the upgrade until the last moments. Version 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) is scheduled to phase off on 2008-10-19 (i.e. today) and, if I got it right, upgrade links will be removed after that.
"Click on the Normal text color color button to display the color selector dialog. Select a color to use to display normal text in the gedit text window. "Click on the Background color color button to display the color selector dialog. Select a background color for the gedit text window."

But, alas, those buttons are not available anymore. It seems that the color model system has replaced the direct settings for text and background color -- and that's not so good because it pushes the free color selection beyond the reach of many ordinary (non-developer) users. And the four color models available by default show only black and white for normal text (i.e. not in a programming language mode).

The colour model for GtkSourceView2 is different, and that is what you
are seeing with the upgrade to gedit 2.20+ The modern approach presents
all languages and document formats consistently. See the Highlighting
section in <http://live.gnome.org/GtkSourceView> for tutorials.
There are many styles available beyond the default styles that ship with
gedit
<http://live.gnome.org/GtkSourceView/StyleSchemes>. You can install them
in .local/share/gtksourceview-2.0/styles/ (restart gedit to enable them)

OK, thanks for the explanation. This is the first time I hear (read) of GtkSourceView, but I conclude that it's the engine that implements color formatting for source code in gedit -- and now for non-source code texts as well. So, to have the simple manual color settings that I was talking about, some sort of an exception would be needed for "normal", non-source code text. I understand that developers may be reluctant to make such an exception (that would increase structural complexity) unless they perceive a real need for it. I checked all the screenshots available of the styles at live.gnome.org/GtkSourceView/StyleSchemes. Since they were primarily targetted for programming language use, I don't think there was anything that would show normal text as blue or violet/purple on white background.

Well, enough with my complaining! :-) I've given my feedback and I'll leave it to the developers of gedit to take it into account when considering what would be nice in future versions and what wouldn't. And this issue also has to do with strategy decisions such as whether gedit should primarily serve as every man's notepad or as programmers' tool.

Best Regards,
Vesa