Re: [gedit-list] "svn commit" and EDITOR=gedit

Il giorno lun, 13/10/2008 alle 11.22 +0200, Matthieu Moy ha scritto:
> Hi all,
>
> A silly question (already asked on SVN's ml, without luck):
>
> The problem is a user[1] who wants to use gedit to write commit messages
> for SVN. The obvious first try is "export EDITOR=gedit", but gedit is
> too clever for that: if an instance of gedit is already running, then
> gedit acts as a client, asks the running instance to open the file,
> _end exits immediately_. svn thinks the user is done with the edition,
> and complains about an empty commit message.
>
> I google'd a bit, but "gedit svn" tells me a lot about the SVN repo
> for gedit, but much less about solving my problem :-(.
>
> Is there a good solution, other than killing already running gedit's
> before launching "svn commit"? What do gedit developer use to commit
> to SVN?

This comes up fairly often and is even filed in bugzilla... in the
future I'd really like have "gedit --wait" or some similar option to not
exit immediately, the difficult part to implement is to track when
actually it should exit (in other words I do not want to have to close
all the other docs).

Personally I end up simply using vim for commits: most of the time I
just use middle-click to paste from a ChangeLog file open in gedit and
then :wq.

That said, there is (fairly ugly) hack to make gedit work as EDITOR: do
something like "TMPDIR=~/tmp gedit", this way gedit will try to look for
the running instance in ~/tmp instead of /tmp and so it will start a new
instance. Be aware that it is an hack: having two open instances of
gedit is not a great thing (they could potentially step on each other
toes), so use it with care.

Ciao
	Paolo