Re: [gedit-list] Default "save to" location

That's not really a workable option.  Thanks for suggesting it though.

A plugin to add a "save to" location option to Preferences would be the
best solution.  I encourage those with the necessary skills to consider
doing this.

Thanks for considering my suggestion.  :)

--- Curtis Hovey <sinzui is verizon net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 10:15 -0700, sisterscape wrote:
> > No one can answer this?
> >
> > --- sisterscape <sisterscape yahoo com> wrote:
> >
> > > The gedit default "save to" location is Home but I prefer to save
> new
> > > documents to the Desktop. It never remembers that is the option I
> > > have
> > > chosen every single time (like most other programs will do). I
> have
> > > looked everywhere I could think of but am unable to find where to
> > > change the default "save to" location.  Please tell me this can
> be
> > > done
> > > and where to do it.
>
> I assume that you are writing about "Save As" in Engligh menus. Gedit
> does not support a default "Save As" location--not in its
> preferences,
> or in its gconf keys. I think a plugin would be required to change
> Gedit's behaviour.
>
> There is another solution, one that I have been considering. GNOME's
> default desktop and file manager is Nautilus. It has a hidden gconf
> key
> that sets the desktop to your home directory. When the key is set,
> there
> is no distinction between you desktop and your home directory. Every
> file and folder in you home dir is displayed on your desktop. If you
> want to try this:
>
>     Run gconf-editor.
>     Locate /apps/nautilus/preferences in the sidebar.
>     Select the desktop_is_home_dir key.
>
> --
>
> __C U R T I S  C.  H O V E Y_______
> Guilty of stealing everything I am.