[gedit-list] Combining LaTeX and R syntax makes highlighting miserable...

Hi ALL!
I use gEDIT for a long time and I am very happy with it. Usually, I use it for LaTeX and R-command writing. Recently, I started using a combination of those two. Sweave package in R enables you to wrap R-commands in LaTeX, and make nice figures and tables etc. However, syntax highlighting is horrible now: R uses '$' to reference a variable in a data frame, while LaTeX understands it as a start of a math symbol. Then, everything becomes blue, until next '$' occurs and so on. Very unreadable and annoying. In brief, what can I do? Is it possible to combine those two systems of highlighting (I know that gVim can do that)? I can only turn off math syntax highlight in LaTeX, but that makes highlighting poor. Help!

Best,
PM