[gedit-list] External Tools comments

In the interest of documenting curiosities found by this new user. . .

When changing the name of a newly created tool using the External Tools Manager one has to, somehow, freeze the edited value of the name. Neither of the "close" boxes manages to do it. The only way I have found is to open some other tool for editing even if you don't want to change anything.

When you choose to take input from the current line you seem to get the line where the insertion point is placed and the line before it. That can mess you up if you really want to execute just the line in which the insertion point appears.  Making a test tool that contains nothing but "cat" and passing output to the bottom pane will demonstrate.

Quite frankly I don't know if the behavior is intended or if it's really a bug.

I swear I once made tcsh run a command with nothing but "tcsh -s"  in the text of the tool while calling for input from the selection and output to the bottom pane. But after a restart it doesn't work anymore. Maybe it never did. We added some server features and an ftp daemon.

Gedit version 2.20.3 as delivered by Ubuntu.

Doug
--

Applescript syntax is like English spelling:
Roughly, though not thoroughly, thought through.