Re: [gedit-list] pdflatex

On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 12:57 +0200, Paolo Borelli wrote:

> Quite the contrary! You are more than welcome

Thank you Paolo. The *nix community has imho become more welcoming over
the last decade.

> Please attach your external tool script so that we can take a look

I was being too simplistic using gedit external command plugin. Defining
and executing a new Run command as:

pdflatex "$GEDIT_CURRENT_DOCUMENT_NAME"

gave:

Running tool: New tool
/home/crow/.gnome2/gedit/tools/new-tool-2: 8: pdflatex: not found
Exited: 32512

I did not expect to have to give the full path to the binary as I can
run pdflatex in terminal even from directory .gnome2/gedit/tools.

Giving the full path to the definition of the Run command:

/usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/i386-linux/pdflatex
"$GEDIT_CURRENT_DOCUMENT_NAME"

works, as you might expect. The bonus is that I can use the Input select
toggle: 'Current document' from the Manager window instead of adding
"$GEDIT_CURRENT_DOCUMENT_NAME" to the script and it still works (my
students might say, "No duh!") but the paths question remains.

Another puzzle to me is why Run command 'evince' (in the pop-up window)
gives me a blank evince shell, but Run command 'pdflatex' gives:

Running tool: Run command
exec: 88: pdflatex: not found
Exited: 512

Some commands require an argument but some don't have a null default?

Anyway, my next wish is to be able to open the .pdf file generated by
the pdflatex command.

How does one pass the name of the .pdf file produced by pdflatex to
evince from within gedit?

The Run command definitions:

evince "$GEDIT_CURRENT_DOCUMENT_NAME.pdf"
or
evince "$GEDIT_CURRENT_DOCUMENT_NAME".pdf

each open evince, but give a 'file not found' error.

Thanks again for any guidance,

John