[gedit-list] Will GtkSourceView ever be able to highlight PHP variables inside strings?

Will GtkSourceView ever be able to highlight PHP variables inside strings?

Example:
<?php

$name = "Brett"
$greetings = "Hello, $name!"

?>

I have yet to see gEdit (or GtkSourceView for that matter) be able to
highlight a variable (such as $name in the example above) while it's
contained in a string.

Is this a feature that may be implemented in the future? It's quite
useful for PHP developers.

The only editor I've seen it in thus far is Notepad++. I've attached a
comparison screenshot.

Thank you for your time.