[gedit-list] Too many files error

I have twice received the following error while editing a large number of files in gedit.

"There are too many open files. Please close some applications and try again."

I doubt I have exceeded the systemwide file-descriptor limit - presumably a lot of things would be complaining.

Is this a bug in gedit? Is it actually leaking file handles? How do I find out if some other process is to blame? I have been trying to work out how to get a list of processes sorted by number of fd's using lsof and some commandline magic.