Re: [gedit-list] compiled plugins

Hi,

You could also create an autopackage (http://autopackage.org). The installation could determine where gedit is installed and select the right install directory. That would be, i would say, the best distribution of a compiled package.

Jan-Nik

On Dec 26, 2007 12:07 PM, Steve Frécinaux <nudrema gmail com> wrote:
Hello,

On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 01:47 +0100, perriman wrote:
> I have a question... Can I create a package with a compiled plugin?

Yes you can, gedit-plugins is already such a package (it just contains
more than one plugin)

> When I create a plugin, I have a.gedit file, a libxxx.la file and a
> libxxx.so file into /usr/lib/gedit-2/plugins. All C plugins are loaded
> from this folder or I can copy this files into ~/.gnome2/gedit/plugins?

You can load a plugin from either /usr/lib/gedit-2/plugins or
~/.gnome2/gedit/plugins, be it a C/C++ or python plugin.

> The last question :) What is the better way to distribute a compiled
> plugin?

I'd say an usual source package that compiles and puts the files into
the right prefix. I *think* gedit needs some fixing in that regard (for
instance I don't think it supports loading plugins from /usr/local if
installed in /usr and the other way) but that's what I'd do (and what
gedit-plugins do, fwiw). Then the distributors can make a .deb or .rpm
package from that.