Re: [gedit-list] GNOME Roadmap - Information Request for gedit

Il giorno mar, 24/04/2007 alle 01.02 +0300, Lucas Rocha ha scritto:
> Dear maintainer,

Hi Lucas,

	I'm answering this myself since in the gedit team the roadmap has been
discussed internally already. I am sure that if I forget something Paolo
Maggi and the other gedit contributors will correct me.

> GNOME 2.18 was released ~1 month ago, and we've all started to focus
> on the next development cycle. A new roadmapping process has been
> proposed[1] to know our short-term and long-term plans. The goal is to
> compose a GNOME-wide roadmap for the next stable releases. And we need
> your help to do this. It's important that you take a few minutes to
> reply to the following questions before May 7.
>
> ----
>
> - What are your plans for GNOME 2.20 (next 4 months, before feature and
>  UI freezes)?

Our top priority is to finally integrate the use of GtkSourceView 2, the
new version of our syntax highlighting library which features a new and
improved highlighting engine. Since for GtkSourceView 2 was inevitable
to change the ABI and API, this change has many consequences for gedit
that go beyond the simple use of the new library. In particular it means
that
 - we'll have to revisit printing since the old GnomePrint code was
dropped from gtksourceview
 - we'll have to revisit the preferences to deal with the new theming
features of GtkSourceView
 - we'll have to revisit plugins since the api/abi change will be
probably be reflected also by python bindings

With regard to printing, the way forward is obviously to switch to
GtkPrint, but we consider this goal secondary and a fair bit of work
would be needed to consider the implementation acceptable (we want to
keep our embedded preview and we want the print code to be async but
this is still buggy in gtk). Help would be appreciated :)

Other plans may involve developing some plugins (search in files, etc)
but there are no firm plans there.

> - What are your plans for GNOME 2.22 (next year)?

Probably switch to gvfs when it comes along. I would also love to remove
and libgnome dependency etc... we are pretty near to that already.

> - Do you have plans for a future release?

Nothing in particular beside what stated above.

> - Do you have any goals from 2.18 that were not achieved? Why?

Yeah, switch to gsv2 has been on the table for a long time but we
totally lacked the time to do the necessary work.

> - Is there something that is really missing in our infrastructure or
>  platform that would help you?

Can't think of anything in particular for the infrastructure (I have
some gripes like the growth of bugmail etc, but nothing major)

As for the platform I am a bit scared that GtkPrint which we have not
even started to use doesn't seem in partcularly good shape and I'd like
to see finished the final bits required to dump libgnome*, but I have no
major issues.

> - Do you have plans to work on other modules not maintained by you?
>  What are they?

As can be inferred from the above, a large part of the work is done on
getting version 2.0 of GtkSourceView out of the door.