[gedit-list] ftp Read Only problem

Hi

I have found gEdit to be a good Web developing tool for me. Hoever I
can't seem to change files that are already on the server however.

This is how it works:

I use the Connect to Server application in Ubuntu (Dapper Drake
(up-to-date)) and I then open the server and see my files there.

They are chmodded to 777 and I double click on one of them, such as a .php file.

gEdit opens the file up but it is set to [Read Only] despite the file
(and folder) being 777.

I can make new files on the server using gEdit and I can edit them too.

Any ideas on this? I would really like to keep using this program.

Kind regards,

William