Re: [gedit-list] resurrecting ctags plugin

Jesse,

> Well, I personally think ctags isn't the way to provide symbol overview and parsing, but sure, you're more than welcome to pick up the ctags plugin.

In the long run, I agree ctags is not the way to go; eventually I'd like to get to the point where we have a more sophisticated plugin that automatically parses symbols on the fly and stores them in some sort of incrementally updated database. That's harder, though, and I think that having a solid ctags plugin would be a useful step for now.
> You might want to rewrite it to python though, but that's up to you :)

thanks, but actually I prefer C/C++ :)

> Please keep us posted of your work!

will do!

adam

Jesse van den Kieboom wrote:
Adam Dingle schreef:
Jesse,

I've decided to resurrect your ctags gedit plugin (http://live.gnome.org/Gedit/PluginCodeListing). (Yes, I know that this is only once of several ctags plugins floating around; I've looked at a few of them.) Below is a (tiny) patch to your archive which allows the plugin to build in a current gedit (2.16.2).
Great!
I'm interested in doing some more work on the plugin in the near future to add a few things:

- a command to jump to the definition of the symbol under the cursor
- navigate forward/back through symbol jump history
- general bug fixes / robustness
- display full path of tags files in history menu (right now they all just show up as "tags", even if in different directories)
- etc.

I know you haven't worked on this in a year or so. If you'd like to act as maintainer, I can send you patches. Or I can take over as maintainer and check the sources in somewhere so that I (and hopefully others) can continue to work on it. Let me know what you'd like to do.
Well, I personally think ctags isn't the way to provide symbol overview and parsing, but sure, you're more than welcome to pick up the ctags plugin. You might want to rewrite it to python though, but that's up to you :). Please keep us posted of your work!

Jesse