Re: [gedit-list] Filebrowser Pane Plugin - in development

On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 23:38 +0100, Paolo Borelli wrote:
> > http://www.splitretina.com/gedit-plugins/
> >

> This is awesome!
>
> This is definately one of the usecases we planned for the sidepane and I
> am really happy to see work done in this direction.
>
> Let me also note that Marcus Leyman (who I CC'ed) some time ago was
> working on something similar, though he seems to have disappeared lately.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm really excited to start contributing.

> > I'm currently formatting the code for public consumption, it should be
> > ready soon. I'd like some good feedback, as critical as possible since I
> > want to learn to do this right from the beginning. Any pointers now
> > would be appreciated.
> >

> Developing a test widget seems like a great idea.
> With regard to the code, I'll be happy to take a look at the source a
> provide comments and suggestions. Btw, did you chose C or python for the
> plugin?

I'm working in C. Python seems exciting though. Seems like everything in
gnome is going python...

> One thing that I can say from the start is that the plugin should use
> the async gnome-vfs api, in order to not block the UI while fectching
> remote dirs.

Glad I'm moving in at least one right direction (widget framework). I'm
not using the async gnome-vfs api mainly because I didn't see it in the
docs. I will rewrite that stuff to use it. Usability aside, it should
actually make the code quite a bit cleaner anyway.

> > I do have a lot of questions too that I'm not sure where to have
> > answered. For example, I'm looking into integrating the "Places" menu
> > item just like it is in Nautilus, with the bookmarks, but I don't even
> > know where to begin. Getting the icons for the mimetypes gave me
> > headache, I ended up using the Galeon code as an example to work from.
> > I'm still not 100% sure I'm doing it right.
> >

> For any questions the best way to get an answer is asking them ;)
>
> Feel free to drop by in #gedit on irc.gnome.org, we'll be happy to
> answer any question.

Cool. You'll probably see me around soon.

> > Also, I'd be more than happy to write documentation on the plugin API
> > and a tutorial if someone else can provide me with the info (and correct
> > me when I'm wrong). Unfortunately, I don't know anything about python,
> > so I won't be much help there (although I should probably learn).
> >

> Yes, I planned to do some docs myself... if only there were 30 hours a
> day :)
> Maybe we should just start a wiki page so that everyone can write some
> bits and pieces.

Point me to a wiki page and I'll add to it.

Regards,

David