[gedit-list] RFE: remove the tab when viewing a single file

Hi folks,

Not sure if this issue has been discussed already,
so I'll go ahead and bring it up for discussion.

Gedit is a great editor, but unfortunately from my POV
suffers from a big usability problem: it _forces_ the
MDI on the user. Not sure if this is HIG compliant, but
being the default GNOME editor makes it a big issue.

First, the tab is simply redundant and wastes precious
vertical space when only one file is opened. At the
very least we should not have it there in that case.

Second, I think that the MDI interface is simply wrong
for casual usage. I understand that gedit tries to be
more than notepad, and this is great, but it is the
default editor in GNOME, and it must by _default_ cater
to the simple case. Advanced users that want MDI for
development purposes can easily change the default.

Please consider getting rid of the tab in the default
behavior. It would make gedit more generally useful
outside the highly specialized development environment.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi lattica com>
Lattica, Inc.