[gedit-list] 'C' syntax highlighting mystery

I am writing an application in C which will eventually carry out a process on selected files.

As an intermediate development step I have the application copy a C source file, 'source.c' to another folder using fread and fwrite.

The copied file looks identical when viewed with a hex editor, and it has the same permissions as the original.

When I load the original into gedit, syntax highlighting works, but when I load in the copy there is no syntax highlighting.

If I make a copy of the copy using 'cp' or copy & paste in Nautilus, the new copy has syntax highlighting when loaded into gedit.

Can anyone explain this behaviour please?

Thanks,

Kevin