[gedit-list] [Fwd: Re: gedit tools plugin]

I've been out of the loop for sometime because of health problems,
but now I've made contact with Rui. His reply follows.

Cheers,
Rafael
--- Begin Message ---
Hello Rafael,

Rafael Jannone wrote:
I'm about to write the GEdit Tools Plugin for the latest CVS version, in
Python.

As I've been informed by Paolo, you already started working on this
plugin. He pointed me to a thread[1] were you discuss some points.

I have already written a similar - but not equivalent - plugin[2] in the
past, which was released on bugzilla and in the gedit-list.  So as we
see it, a more complete Tool Plugin would be the next logical step.

So maybe we could colaborate together. Do you intend to continue your
work on this particular plugin?  If not, could you share any resources
that could be of help on undertaking this task?

Sure we can, and I intend to continue the work (as time permits ;)

This is what I've done:

* A GObject (in C code) named ToolsCaptureOutput to capture a program output (line by line) using GIOChannel (tested on FreeBSD, Gentoo, and Ubuntu).
* A Python module for use that GObject.
* A test program in C and python for trying out the ToolsCaptureOutput GObject.
* A .glade file with the GUI.
* A initial gedit python plugin that only loads the glade file on startup.

Download from:

* http://www.ruilopes.com/tools-capture-output-0.4.0.tgz
  For building read the README file;  its like: (make ; cd srcpy && make)
  NB: The Makefile are hardcoded, no autohell stuff yet.
* http://www.ruilopes.com/tools_plugin_20051020.tgz
  A gedit plugin that only loads the glade file on plugin load.

Take a look at those and let me known what you think.

Here is what needs to be done:

* a way of load/save the tools definitions into disk (maybe a .desktop/.xml file for each tool)
* stick the tools into the tools menu (using a gtkaction for each tool)
* associate sortcut keys with each tool.

* run the tool, capturing its output to the gedit output window (the filter current document selection with the tool mode can be done later).

* introduce output filters for translating each line to (filename, line number) pairs * hook the gedit output window for mouse clicks in each of the lines where the output filters have found a (filename, line number) pair.

* add the other capture options, eg: filter current document selection with the tool mode.

* implement the behaviour of the .glade file (the tool editing dialog boxes).

* release it! ;)

Best regards,
Rui Lopes

--- End Message ---