Re: [gedit-list] Bonobo usage in Gedit

Ryan McDougall wrote:

On Sat, 2005-12-02 at 10:58 +0100, Paolo Borelli wrote:
[snippage]

Yes, bonobo is still used in gedit, but getting rid of it is definately on the plan!

It is used for two things:

1 - libbonoboui is used for menus and toolbars: this is due to the fact that when a plugin system was added to gedit we needed a way to merge/unmerge menu items dinamically and libbonoboui was the only viable solution. As of gtk 2.4, GtkUIManager has been integrated in gtk and we should migrate our menus to use it. However this is a *big* task, it requires redesigning how the gedit MDI works and to modify all the plugins: the wiki page has some more details about this.

Reading it would seem that provides some libglade-like features for
menus and toolbars only, while Gedit also uses libglade. Do you
anticipate any problems getting the two to play together nicely?

Both libbonoboui (which is what we currently use) and GtkUIManager store the description of the menus in a xml file, but this is an implementation detail and has nothing to do with using glade or not. The two things are completely orthogonal, so they can be used together just fine.

Anyway we mostly use libglade for dialogs, not for the main window.

If you want to take a look at a complete example (which also uses menu merging etc), I suggest taking a look at the menu code of epiphany, which already uses GtkUIManager.

ciao