[gedit-list] Gedit default file permissions

We have a group of people working together on a project on a Red Hat 9.0 system.  I created a group for them and by changing their default umask and setting the SGID bit on their directories, they have been able to share their work files.  We have noticed a problem with files that people create using gedit inside of the shared directories.  The file permissions are not set according to the umask.  These files wind up with 640 permissions rather than 660 as we need them to be.  Since gedit does not seem to be getting its default file permissions from the umask, is there somewhere else that we can set them to what we need them to be?

Thanks,

Gail