Re: [gedit-list] is gedit strong against failures?

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 13:39 -0600, ruben imasmedia com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need some information about how much strong against failures are the most
> tipical application under Linux.
>
> I have tried to write some informattion in a new gedit document, and I have
> "shutdown" X Windows. I was not able to find the information!
>
> I have check that there is an option on preferences that there is an option to
> "backup the file before save it"
>
> How does it work exactly?

Suppose you save a file, and call it "information.txt". Next time you
save the file, it will first make a backup of this document. Gedit will
name the backup "information.txt~". Most programs will name their backup
files like this - i.e., attach a tilde ("~") to the end of the file.

You must, however, save the file a first time - otherwise, a backup
can't be created.
This kind of backup won't save you of system failures though, it will
only be helpful if you accidentally saved your file, and want the old
version back.

For system failures, you need to enable "Auto-save files every x
minutes". This too requires you to first save the document, but once
you've done that, Gedit will automatically save the file for you every x
minutes (you can specify the number of minutes).

Note: this applies to Gedit version 2.8 - I'm not sure in what version
these features (especially the auto-save) appeared. If you don't have it
yet in you version, you might want to upgrade Gedit.

MfG,
Ludootje