[Geary] application running in background (--gapplication-service) when starting from GNOME shell

Hi folks

GNOME recently introduced a setting to run an app in background.
I answered yes for Geary some time ago, but I've checked GNOME settings and cannot figure out how to change it to no.
Can you help me?

If I start geary from the command line, the process is closed when I quit Geary.
But if I start it from the shell, after closing the app, ps still shows:

/usr/local/bin/geary --gapplication-service

I think it's usually a pretty nice feature (as I like I don't have to wait for the sync and read right away), but isn't this duplicating the "Always check for new mail" in Geary preferences?