Re: [Geary] Why Geary does not use EDS?

I Federico,
I am using 3.32.
You are right about GOA, but then there is still the duplication of offline emails.
Good to hear about contacts in 3.34.
Best.Le 7 juil. 2019 01:28, Federico Bruni <fede inventati org> a écrit :

Il giorno ven 5 lug 2019 alle 17:50, Frederic Parrenin
<frederic parrenin univ-grenoble-alpes fr> ha scritto:
Dear Geary developpers,

I really appreciate the UI work done on Geary, congratulations!

Pardon my simple question, but I would like to know why Geary does
not use Evolution Data Server (EDS).
The idea of EDS was to have a common backend shared by different
frontends.
It works already for agendas (shared with e.g., Gnome Calendar) and
contacts (shared by e.g., Gnome Contacts).
From a user point of view, I like this because I can easily switch
the frontend if I am not happy with it, without reconfiguring
everything and duplicating the offline information.
I imagine also that Geary devs could really concentrate on the UI
work if they use EDS, and this is where Evolution shows its age.

Geary devs certainly have good reasons to make this choice, but I am
just curious what they are.

Which version of Geary are you using?

Geary already supports GNOME Online Accounts, which allows to set some
email accounts in a single place and then use your favorite email
client without further configuration.

Desktop contacts integration has been recently added in master branch
and will be available in next 3.34 release:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/geary/-/milestones/4
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/geary/issues/133