Re: [Geary] Search is often slow and unreliable

Hey Federico,

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 1:46 AM, Federico Bruni <fede inventati org> wrote:
In the last months (maybe since last year?) I had a bad experience with
the search. Sometimes the search hangs indefinitely (the spinning bar
in the status bar keeps rolling). If I cancel it, it takes a lot before
I can see again the inbox, as it was syncing again with the server.
Which is surprising, as it shouldn't be a matter of syncing with the
server.. I mean, the search is performed locally¹ and the inbox was
already synced.

I know what you mean, this happens to me quite a fair bit as well. I have been meaning to file and bug and/or look into it, but haven't been able to reproduce it when it would be convenient to debug it.

My accounts use Cyrus, so it probably isn't server-related. I think there's some database query lock/contention/stall occurring - it seems to happen more frequently right after application startup when doing a sync. I didn't realise that it will eventually recover however - so maybe some long-running DB operation (folder sync?) is blocking the FTS search queries?

It would be great if you want to look into this. /:) One way to debug it would be to load Geary in a debugger and when the hang occurs, pause the process (Ctrl-C in gdb) and check what threads are running DB queries, and what those queries are.

//Mike

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.
⚙ <http://mjog.vee.net/>