Re: [gdome]XSLT status

Hi TJ.

> I was wondering what the status of the XSLT module is.

I had a look at DOM core level 3 and apparently there's the possibility to
exploit some of those interfaces in order to give the XSLT processor a
kind of "standard" API. However, there is no plan in the immediate future
to work on DOM level 3 and we *need* to work with the xslt module right
now. What we were thinking was a small, separate library for doing XSLT
transformations, to be used until DOM core level 3 is implemented.

The problem is how to go from gdome2 nodes to libxml2 nodes and viceversa.
This is not so hard though, because it's just a matter of declaring the
prototypes for the functions doing this (which already exist), and then
linking against the gdome2 library.
If you look inside the gdome2 source code you'll be able to find the
function from libxml2 nodes to gdome2 nodes. The other way round requires
some more work, because the function doing that work has to be fixed and
checked.

The thing we would like to stress is that this usage of those functions is
not encouraged (this is why they don't appear in the gdome2 API) and that
they might change in the future. Their use is indended to be internal
only, or in cases where a temporary solution is needed.

Having said that, I don't know about memory management in libxslt. If the
library builds a brand new tree from scratch, and doesn't use any
fragment from the source document and/or the xsl stylesheet, then there
should be no problems at all. Otherwise....

Of course it would be great if you can contribute to this.

Regards,
luca

P.S> given that Paolo and me are working full time, we might consider the
possibility of asking for you write access to the Gnome CVS repository, so
that you could commit your code directly. Let us know if you're interested.